Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Russian

How very interesting and exciting. Russian is perhaps the language I speak the best because the majority of books I've read was in Russian, the majority of movies I've seen was in Russian, at home I mostly speak Russian.It became part of me, a habbit and I stopped noticing it or paying attention just like to the air. Now that Michael is studying Russian I kind of rediscover the Russian language, art and literature.

Now after finishing "1984" I was thinking what to read. "1984" is a too strong book to start something right after it - too strong impressions; the book shook me and it will take some time till everything I've read is analyzed, settled down and put in order. Therefore I needed something absolutely different, on a different subject. Suddenly I remembered about the whole world of Russian literature which I well not ignored but haven't investigated thoroughly. It won't be a lie to say i don't know it at all - just have general ideas. It's exactly what I need now. It's absolutely different from European authors because the mentality of the writer is absolutely different. I could have taken smth from Japanese, Latin-American or some other literature but it would not have that hint of familiarity, comfort in it. So, I've made my choice - "the Garnet bracelet" by Alexander Couprin.

How could I have not noticed the whole world of Russian literature? Perhaps the same way Michael didn't notice the park 1000 feet away from his apartment :).

No comments: