Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Rashomon" and a night out

Today we went out with some people from the taekwondo group to see a film by Kurosawa and then were to go to a Korean restaurant later. I didn't know much about the film - just knew it was by Kurosawa. the title sounded awfully familiar but i couldn't understand why. "Rashomon". The film was in black and white and with English subtitles. In 10 minutes or so i saw a man and a lady walking through woods and thought of them as man and a wife. Then I wondered "wait! they never said they were married... why am i so sure they are? somehow i know they are though.." a bit later i started forcasting what was gonna happen and when it did go the way i thought it dawned on me. It was based on Akutagawa's short story "Rashomon". Rashomon gates! Then I got confused. I was absolutely sure the story was called something else but he also had a "Rashomon" story. I just looked it up on Wiki and yes sure enough the story is mostly from "In the groove". Kurosawa kind of joined the too. Here's a link Rashomon.
Akutagawa was one of my favorite writers, his stories were so .. different and kind of unexpected. I remember I liked "the nose", "spiderweb" (i think it's what it was called...), something about hell.. there was a painter who had a daughter and there was a bad king... i remember that one so well but can't remember the name.

Anyway. The other AMAZING thing is i looked through the films they were showing and one of the was "Parajanov. Requiem"!!! That's unbelievable. And should i ask why that one and not "Colors of pomegranates" but oh well. I seriously can't believe that here in Cleveland art university they are showing a film by an Armenian film-maker. I can't! Unfortunately i missed it - it was in the beginning of march but oh well i have on dvd anyway lol.

and the dinner was fun. it's the first time i had korean food and it was good. here are some photos i took. if anyone needs those in bigger size just let me know :)











the rest is here:
Think Happy Be Happy


off to Bumpers to drink some rum and coke :))

No comments: